5 Days Mount Kenya Trekking Chogoria Route Down Naro Moru
Chogoria route is by far the most scenic route of all Mt Kenya climbing routes. However, it is the most difficult Mount Kenya climbing route owing to the fact that it begins from the steep side of the mountain.
Day 1: Chogoria/Mount Meru Bandas – 4hrs, 16km walk, 950m ascent
Pick up from your hotel in Nairobi at 7am to Chogoria town for an early lunch. After lunch, take a 4x4WD vehicle to the forest clearance, 16km from where the walk starts. You will walk for 16km through the forest along the dirt and sometimes very muddy road for 4hrs to reach Mount Meru Bandas at 2950m. Dinner and overnight at Mt. Meru Bandas, B,L,D
Day 2: Mount Meru Bandas – Road Head Camp, 3hrs, 9km, 350m ascent
After breakfast follow the track through giant heather and forest up to Chogoria road head from where the path drops to cross a stream then follows the broad ridge to the east of the gorges valley to reach Road Head Camp taking approximately 3-4hrs. Overnight at Road Head Camp at 3300m.
Day 3: Road Head/Mintos Hut – 4 hrs, 12km
After breakfast follow the track through giant heather and forest up to Chogoria road head from where the path drops to cross a stream then follows the broad ridge to the east of the gorges valley to reach Mintos Hut, 4200m. Dinner and overnight at Mintos Hut, B, L, D
Day 4: Mintos/Point Lenana/Met Station – 11-12 hrs, 29km, 785m ascent/1985m descent
Leave shortly after midnight at 2am towards the main peaks and divide after an hour, above a flat green area at the head of the valley known as temple fields, arriving at point Lenana at 6:30am. After taking photographs, descend to Mackinders for breakfast and continue down to Met Station at 3000m for dinner and overnight rest, B,L,D
Day 5: Met Station/Naromoru/Nairobi – 3hrs, 9km, 400m descent
After breakfast, descend through the rainforest which is 9km to Naromoru Park Gate at 2,600m where you will connect with your transport back to Nairobi, arriving at approximately 3pm, B,L
Included Safari Features
- Round trip transport from Nairobi to Lake Nakuru, Kisumu and Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Multi-lingual Professional Safari Guide/Driver.
- Recommended accommodation.
- Guaranteed departures for at least two (2) guests for Private trips, at least four (4) guests on Luxury trips and at least six (6) or more guests for budget booking.
- Complimentary Mineral Water in the Safari Minibus whilst on Safari
- Membership in Flying Doctors Society – Emergency air rescue
- Safari vehicles carry cold drinks and mineral water
- Guaranteed window seating with open top
- All meals included while on safari
- Pre–tour itinerary document
- Extensive Game drives
- 80% of the total sum of the trip should be paid before the day of the Safari.
Excluded Safari Features
- Personal expenses such traveling insurance, excess baggage fee, communication charges that include, laundry, emails, faxes and phone calls beverages or meals not indicated in the itinerary
- All applicable Game Park entrance fees.
- Optional Night Game drives, Bird watching, Nature walks etc
- Gratuity for Porterage / waiters at hotels, camps and airports
- Christmas, New Year and Easter Supplement
- Gratuity for your professional driver guide
- Sundowner bush cocktails, balloon Safaris, Horse Rides, Chopper trips, Yatch trips, Drown recorded trips and bush dinner. Although they can be provided on request.
- Cost of obtaining passport and visas while crossing borders.
- International/ Local Airfares.